Saturday, December 11, 2010

A Short Story

"I'd like to say that this is a coincidence, but I don't believe in coincidences. I believe that everything that's happened in my life led me here. And the same applies to you. Everything you've ever done has led you to this moment.

And I'm here for one reason and one reason only. I'm going to tell you something, but I'm not here to tell you. I've told you a hundred times in my head, and I will continue to do it until the day I day. But this moment isn't about what I do. I have to see you reaction to what I say. I've seen you react in every way that a person can react. You've been overjoyed. You've been angry. You've ordered champagne and thrown water in my face. But all the other scenarios don't matter. All those other versions of you don't matter. The only thing that matters is you in this moment. As far as I'm concerned, nothing else exists.

I love you. I loved you from the moment I saw you. I loved you as we teased each other. As we grew closer. As we grew apart. I could see it, and you could see it. Everyone saw it. But nothing happened. I couldn't say what I needed to say, and you stopped waiting. You had enough, and I understand. It kills me, but I understand.

So what would you do if I told you I loved you? I know you can't do anything about it - that moment has passed, and we can't turn back time. But you have to know. You have to understand the pain and anguish that have led me to where I am. And while we will never be, you have to know.

In some other life, we were great. We were perfect. We were the envy of everyone else. Our love was the muse that led to masterpieces. The kind of love that few have but everyone yearns for. And, in that life, you're completely happy. Because, in my life, that's my only job. My only goal. My only concern. I've given you the world, and yet I still search for something greater.

You've found love in this life. And I'm sure it's a great love. And I'll find some myself. People live happy lives without ending up with the perfect person. Because human beings are adaptive creatures. Since we were tossed from the Garden, we've learned to accept less than perfect. Less than what we truly want. It's now hardwired into our DNA, and it's understandable. With all the problems that we face and all the evil we see, it's natural to hold on to whatever we can that can make us happy. After a long and hard day, a lot can disguise itself as perfect.

But I want you to know that we had it. It was for less than a second. Less than a moment. It would be hard to capture, even on the world's most sophisticated camera. It was small, but it existed. And because it existed, it can never be taken away. It will never go away. It will always exist, and we'll be able to go there whenever we want.

I've said what I needed to say. Done what I needed to do. Now it's your turn to let me know. What would you do if I told you I loved you?"

She looked up...

No comments:

Post a Comment