Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Another First Draft

I wrote the first draft of a novel back in 2007. I wasn't working at the time, and I decided that it would be worth my time. I had an idea, and I finished it in a couple of months. Then, almost immediately, I got the idea for another book. I finished that first draft a couple months later. Then I wrote the first draft of a movie script. Then the first draft of another movie script.

Four first drafts. Zero editing to this day.

I'm fantastic at pumping out first drafts. Maybe even pretty good first drafts. But I've never gone back and edited any of them. Let alone polished.

Could they end up being pretty good? Maybe. The books might be lost causes, but they were both more cathartic than anything. I think my writing style might be suited more for the scripts?

And the scripts? The first was well received by my friends, but my aunt ripped it apart as being pretty offensive. I've gone back and edited a lot of the first half, but it still probably needs quite a bit of work. The second script was also pretty well received, but the entire thing needs to be worked because it's about 25% narration (aka 25% lazy). That's gonna take a lot of work.

And enter "Bumblebees Are Impossible" - the code name for the TV show that Tucker and I are writing. Again, I'm good at knocking out first drafts. I've already written eight full episodes, and we have a show meeting tonight to discuss the ninth (and final one) we will write.

This time, however, I have a backup plan. Tucker is responsible for making sure that we go back and edit. And polish. And maybe try and get the damn thing sold. I do the first step, and he makes sure we both follow through on the next ones. Plus, Ashley is there as a gunner with his editing/polishing/storymaking experience. If this show gets made, Ashley will be right there with us when/if we need him.

But, today, the creative juices are bubbling again. I have the idea for a sitcom, and I started thinking about ways to do it. I came up with a list of characters, possible character arcs, recurring characters, and a general Pilot plot.

Not going to abandon "Bumblebees" - but it's exciting to have a new project to work on. Something fresh and new that I can build. It seems I'm much more interested in building the foundation and walls of a house...but not as concerned with the inside and furniture.

But we'll work on it. And I'll start working on this on the side. And, that way, if we ever get a meeting with an agent or a studio, and they pass...I can always say "Oh, by the way...I also have..."

No comments:

Post a Comment