Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Delaware - Part One

Delaware happened. There was nothing I could do about it, and it was set up before anything could be done. Like I said in a previous post, my biology teacher was willing to work around my schedule, and since that was my primary concern, things worked out as well as they could.

I still had two concerns, though:

1. My flight to Delaware left at 6:35am. My group wanted us to be there at 5am. That meant waking up at or about 4am. Considering I had my last class on the night before, it meant I was going to be going on a ridiculously tiny amount of sleep. That was not okay.

2. "Three weeks...probably less" turned into an entire month. October 12 to November 12. In Delaware. With people I don't really know. Two weeks could be a really nice getaway. Four weeks could be considered punishment.

I've been in Delaware for about two days, and neither of my concerns ended up being that bad. I still have virtually no ability to sleep on a plane, but the people in Delaware had mercy on us upon our arrival and didn't make us work. Which is good because we were basically zombies.

The JPM building is actually pretty nice. There's a pretty cool cafeteria in the building, and there's a bald eagle nest next to one of the buildings. I actually saw one of them (pretty far away but it was still cool).

Today was mostly training. The only interesting thing was eating at Jimmy Buffet's "Cheeseburger in Paradise" restaurant, which was surprisingly good.

My hotel is pretty nice, although they've put me at the far end of the facility. And it's more "motel-style" than hotel-style (where you enter your room from the street) - and I prefer the latter.

But there's a full kitchen, two beds, a living area (complete with fireplace), and two pretty nice TVs. If I have to live in Delaware for a month, I guess this isn't a bad place to do it. I'll try to put up some pictures at some point, either here or Facebook.

So that's it. I'm here and alive and working. Two more days of work before the weekend, but I don't think we have anything big planned. Which should be okay, I think we're all just ready to relax a bit...something we really haven't gotten to do since we got here.

Two more notes, though:

1. The Rangers won last night. Really excited about that. The Rangers were my first love, even before the Cowboys, and even though they broke my heart at a young age, it was still cool to see them win. They're just 4 wins away from the World Series and only 8 wins away from a championship. With only 4 playoff wins for the whole franchise, it's way too early to be thinking about that. But one can hope.

2. The Internet here sucks. I was able to stream shows on Hulu (and it was okay), but I haven't been able to get the Slingbox to work yet. Come on hotel that I'm not paying for...you have to do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment