Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Human Monsters

I heard on the news Monday morning a tragic story. A woman was at Wal-Mart when a man called her over to his car (I assume asking for help or directions). The old woman (76 years old) came to his car, and the man grabbed her purse and drove off. The problem is that the purse was still on the old lady's arm. He dragged her 40 feet before she was released...only to be run over by his back tire. It immediately broke her pelvis, and she died at the hospital.

The story got more tragic this morning, when I found out that I knew the woman. Not personally, but she lives in my apartment complex. And she parks right next to me.

Actually, correction. Thanks to this asshole, she lived in my apartment complex. And parked next to me.

And even though the story was sad in the first place, it became real to me when I heard that. I'd seen this woman. Every time I saw her, she smiled at me. I smiled at her, partly because she was this tiny little woman that drove this huge SUV.

According to her daughter, she never carried money in her purse. At most, this scumbag got five dollars from the robbery. And her family gets to pay the price. Until his trial, that is. Because he's up for capital murder. And I hope this state murders him.

1. He's been convicted of a dozen crimes already. He's 28.
2. According to witnesses, he was laughing as he drove away and after she died.
3. He tried to look tough in his mug shot. Because it's really tough to steal from a 90-pound woman in her 70s.

There are times when I'm not in favor of the death penalty, but this is not one of those days. This person is contributing nothing to our society. Nothing to our species. No one, not even his family, will ever benefit from anything that he ever does. As far as I'm concerned, the universe would be better if he'd never existed. That might sound harsh, but this is his thirteenth crime in 28 years. He needs to go.

Prison is too good for people like this guy. He'll be in with thugs like him, making buddies and having fun. Because it's no longer a deterrent from some people like it is for me. I'm scared to go to jail so I don't committ crimes. He's not scared so he does. Five dollars is worth the risk.

Which is why I'd make my prison. Fence off part of New Mexico where no one wants to live. Drop everyone in all the prisons in the country into the area with no buildings and no tools. Let them fend for themselves however they can. Drop food every once in a while. And let them handle themselves. A lot will starve. A lot will die from the elements. And a lot will die from each others. I'd set up an area, about a mile before the fenceline, where no one is allowed to go. If you pass that point, the guards are not encouraged to use lethal force. They are required to do so. Any guard found out to be working with the inmates goes in himself.

No excuses. No exceptions. Rob someone. Go to New Mexico. Steal a car. Go to New Mexico. Kill someone. Go to New Mexico.

Cost to the taxpayer...way less than it is now. And I'm sure people would think twice before they do anything illegal.

People will say it's inhumane. And I'd argue that people like the man who killed this woman aren't human. And, thus, don't deserve to be treated as humans. They don't deserve to be treated like animals either...because animals are, for the most part, innocent.

They are monsters. And should be treated as such.

No comments:

Post a Comment