Saturday, January 10, 2009

Writing again

I'm writing this for two reasons...neither much more (or less) selfish than the other. But the other day, I got the idea for a movie. It's a Knocked Up kind of idea (half romantic comedy and half sophomoric guy movie), and I think it's the kind of movie that could get made. And, in a lot of cases, that might be better than a movie that is good.

I think my main concern is that my execution could be flawed. Because just because you have a great idea doesn't mean your "art" will end up being great. A good recent example is Jumper - I thought the idea of Jumper was a great one...the idea of being able to teleport wherever you want is a fascinating one. And I think the idea that there are these two secretly warring parties (those who can teleport and those who want to kill them all) was also great.

But, in the execution, something was lost. The movie lost its way, and it didn't pick any particular direction to go. So, in the end, it stayed in the same place. I also think Nicholas Cage's movie Next had a great premise that was completely wasted. And although both movies had created universes with endless possibilities, they were both so bad that we'll never get to see the richness.

I think the idea for both of my novels are great. I particularly like the second one; I think it is a pretty interesting examination of the way I see the human soul. But I think the idea is so great that I'm afraid of my own execution. Because like Jumper and Next, I don't want to destroy the universe just because the camera I chose to shoot it with was mechanically flawed.

And because of that, I haven't let anyone read it. I've even been a little afraid to read it myself. Especially since there's a lot of myself in there, and I wrote it at a pretty dark time for me.

Which brings me back to this. I think this movie idea could be good, but I want it to be done well too.

Why am I mentioning this? What are the "two reasons."

1. I want to put it out there that I'm writing so that I'll have a reason to finish. Since I finished book number two, I've fleshed out several ideas for book #3, and I didn't do anything with them. If I put it out here, I'll be reminded of it every time I feel like writing. And it will make me either feel bad and write or just decide to write.

2. Let's say the script is good, and let's say that my Hollywood aunt (my aunt lives in Hollywood) can get it into the hands of someone cool. And it gets made. How cool would it be to come back and see this blog entry?

No comments:

Post a Comment