Thursday, May 21, 2009

Bingo Night

So tonight was bingo night over at the Village Country Club. It is something that a lot of people probably wouldn't understand until you've experienced it, but its one of my favorite nights of the month. Although I'm sometimes, like within the last year and a half, bad at remembering that.

I went to tonight's bingo with my oldest friend (a guy I've literally known since my birth) and my newest (a girl that just moved into my building). I'd told her, the new friend, that bingo night was one of the most fun (I don't think I said "funnest") things that are done in this community.

Like everyone else I've told this to, she was skeptical. Little kids and old people play bingo...not people in their 20s. But I stayed on it...reminding her three times in the last 24 hours (each time I saw her), and she came (hopefully not reluctantly).

And I think she had a really good time. But I'm not surprised...everyone has a great time. I've gone about seven times, and I've always had fun. Because bingo is one of those games where you almost feel like a winner every game. I can play ten games of tennis, and I might never feel like a winner (because I usually lose).

But in almost every game of bingo I've played, I'm usually 2-5 numbers away from a win. Every time, I get that feeling that I'm going to win, and its a bit addictive. In those seven-ish times I've gone, I've probably played between 60 and 70 games of bingo (at some point, they moved from ten games a night to just eight) and I've won once. But every time, I have fun.

And those of you who really know me know that I hate to lose. This is a game that I lose 99% of the time, and I still have fun.

Plus, there's alcohol and really good queso. And fajita nachos. And chicken fried steak. And Blue Moon on tap. And gift card prizes. And a big Samoan guy calling out numbers. Something for everyone.

So kudos to the Village Country Club for bingo night. And if the place where you live has a bingo night, you should give it a shot. You never know...you might actually find yourself having some fun.

2 comments:

  1. Why do you have to bring up the ethnicity of the guy calling out the bingo numbers? Not enough darknesses in your life?

    ReplyDelete