Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Do Dreams Have Significance?

I've always been a little weirded out by sleep, as some of you know. The fact that we, as human beings, spend more than a third of our lives unconscious has always bothered me. I realize that we have to recharge, but it just seems very odd to me.

And dreams are a big part of that. I go to sleep, almost every night, a bit scared of that moment where you lose consciousness....almost mainly because of the idea that, at some point, your subconscious will take you to some crazy dream world.

For example, last night I had a dream that my apartment burned to the ground (with all my stuff). While I was investigating, my car got towed. A second dream revolved around me trying to fight off intruders inside an Island Paradise mansion.

And I've always wondered whether dreams are telling us things. Is some sort of higher power trying to warn me to make sure I turn off the stove and check my electrical outlets? Or watch where I park? Or do a better job protecting beach side property?

Because some dreams make sense. If you spend all your time thinking/worrying about something, you will likely dream about it. I find myself dreaming about big sporting events the night before...because I've spent most of my day anticipating it coming. Some dreams are prompted by movies or television...if you watch Dawn of the Dead, you might have nightmares about running from zombies.

But what about the ones that come out of nowhere? Is that God's ways of communicating important information to us? Does our subconscious know things that we don't...giving us clues and warnings that we should remember in our waking lives?

And what about the dreams that we remember...as opposed to the ones that we immediately forget? Are the ones that we remember more important than ones that we can't? Or are the ones we lose first the ones that are the most crucial to remember.

There was a stretch a couple of years ago where I kept a dream diary pretty regularly. And every once in a while, I'd read it. And while I'm pretty sure that I'm not psychic (at least in dreams I can remember), I do realize that my subconscious is insane. Some of the things I dream about are crazy, and its strange to think that Dream Drew accepts all the things that happen.

All in all, I wish that dreams didn't exist. That, at night, we could simply flip a switch and fall asleep for the designated time. Where, outside of emergencies, nothing would wake us and we could get the optimum level/quantity of sleep. And, to us, it'd be like we'd flip the switch and immediately wake up refreshed.

Because, between cryptic dreams and horrifying nightmares, I don't really see the point. And if my subconscious needs a creative outlet, I'll give it a blog too.

No comments:

Post a Comment