Sunday, May 30, 2010

Catching Up

I haven't written in a while, but I wanted to go ahead and catch up on some things.

1. The LOST finale was fantastic. I was never truly worried about the show because I had a lot of faith that the writers would get things right. But the finale connected things on so many different levels that I was surprised. The show was able to maintain, for the most part, such a fantastic level of quality from season one to season six. And, because of that, LOST is my unquestioned favorite show of all time.

2. Some people complained that some questions were unanswered, but I don't think the show was ever really about the questions and answers. Sure, the mysteries of the Island kept people watching, but the show was always about the people. That's why not every episode dealt with the Island, but every episode in the first three seasons dealt with a different character's flashback. It was about the people - the mysteries were just the icing.

3. I actually watched the finale at the Angelika. It was not the coolest moment of my life, but it was pretty cool to experience the event surrounded by people who were as fascinated by the show as I was.

4. With LOST over, I am trying to find a new show. I was disappointed in FlashForward and V, but Fringe is pretty solid. And, as far as comedies go, Community is just about as good as it gets. I'd like to try to watch Modern Family and maybe Parenthood.

5. One show I'm continuing to try is Mad Men. Time Warner Cable has been showing the series On Demand, and they gave me a couple episodes a week to watch. Because of this, I was able to watch the first couple of seasons from December to May. The third season? I got two weeks to watch the whole thing...so I was watching a lot of the show recently. It's really done well, but I just don't really understand the fascination with it. I do think the examination of the 60s is interesting, particularly looking into how much things have changed during the lifetime of my generation's parents.

One scene had the Drapers having a picnic, and when they were finished, the family just left their trash in the middle of the park. They never even considered cleaning it up, and that's just so wild to me. Because if someone tried that today, they'd probably get yelled at. And something like that might even be illegal. Stuff like that is interesting.

6. Another interesting Mad Men tidbit dealt with the Kennedy assassination, and I was able to make some connections to how it felt when the September 11 attacks happened. Everyone was consumed with watching it unfold on television, and people were just in a general sense of "what do we do now?"

7. We played poker today, and I won. We've played a handful of times, and this was my first win. It was nice to finally get that done because it's a lot of fun to play. And it's a really interesting game to examine - bluffing, reading other people, skill vs. luck...it's all pretty cool.

8. I saw Iron Man II the other day, and I was a bit underwhelmed. I thought the first movie was really fun, but I think a lot of that fun was missing from the sequel. I didn't hate it, but I was also a bit confused at the lack of action. None of the fights were that exciting, and I just couldn't get really into it. I was hoping for better.

9. I've been playing a lot of MLB 2K10 today, and there's a featured called "My Player" - where you can create a player and only play as him. I created myself, and it's pretty fun because you can play a week's worth of games in a half hour or so. It's been a pretty fun way to waste time.

10. Tucker's been trying to help Ashley and me get into better shape. On Thursday, I ran two miles (one at a time), and it was good to actually get that done. Then, on Saturday, Tucker and I played tennis in the 95-degree weather. He destroyed me, as usual, but it was also nice to get out there and play for that long in that heat. It would've been nice if I'd gotten more of a tan, though.

Bonus - I have to work tomorrow. It's just a half-day, but I'm a little upset about it. I'm going to get "time and a half" for it, and I'm also going to get two weeks off in July. But with only ten holidays, it's a bit stupid to make people come in. It's another reason this job is utterly stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment