Monday, May 31, 2010

Working on Memorial Day

So my job has changed a bit in the last few months, and it's expanded to include global trading (and not just domestic). And because the rest of the world hates our freedom, they don't celebrate Memorial Day. And, because of that, I had to work on Memorial Day. In fact, one of my a-hole clients made sure to send me an email that said - "We will be open for business on Memorial Day and expect full coverage."

Thanks. I support the troops too!

Now, coming in isn't mandatory, but I figured I should come in. They give "time and a half" for hours worked, and four hours (a half day) would get me six extra hours. And I figure that will help somewhere down the road. Because if I hadn't worked, I would've woken up at ten or so...and by the time I would've woken up and start being productive, I would've already been done.

So before I left on Friday, my team lead made sure I was coming in Monday. And this conversation came up:

Me - "What can we wear Monday?"
TL - "It's a day off, you can wear whatever you want."
Me - "Okay, I'm wearing shorts."
TL - "That's fine, it doesn't matter."

So this morning, I get up and put on some khaki shorts, a t-shirt, and some flip flops. I was going to a pool party after work, and it's 95 degrees outside. Plus, being comfortable would make up for having to come in.

And about an hour after I got there, my team lead comes up to me with a simple question - "who gave you the impression that you could wear what you're wearing today?"

Umm....you did. You, specifically.

Apparently, the dress code applies whenever you're at work. Which is insane, particularly since I was voluntarily coming in on a national holiday to catch up on work that I have. Too much work that I have, in fact, because we're working with a skeleton crew full time.

Does anyone wonder why I'm getting out of corporate America?

Now, I don't understand why the dress code applies at all. I don't really understand how professionalism applies because I don't think people would work any harder when they're less comfortable. I also don't understand why clients would be upset if they saw people dressed in pajamas or whatever. If a guy makes you one million dollars, you're going to be excited no matter what he's wearing. Heck, the guy could be completely naked, and I guarantee you'd give him a hug.

So there's no reason for the employees and no reason for the clients. So the only reason to have a dress code is for the managers to have power over people.

I'll prove it. There was zero chance that a client was going to come in and see what we were wearing. Zero. Secondly, the people who were coming in volunteered to come in. So the only people who would be coming in would be dedicated (everyone else) or just good (me).

And I might get in trouble tomorrow. Seriously. And if I do...I'm guessing I'm going to have some interesting news for the blog tomorrow night.


No comments:

Post a Comment