Sunday, June 6, 2010

Something Dallas Got Right

I was in Fort Worth tonight for the TCU baseball game, and we went over to the University Pub after the game for a drink. And when we got in there, I noticed that a lot of people were smoking...and I thought that it was unusual. It's a bit of a hole in the wall, and I thought it was the exception to the rule as far as smoking rules go.

But, nope, there is no rule in Fort Worth. Smoking goes in bars, and there's no exception to be had.

You see, Dallas basically got rid of smoking in bars in the last couple of years, and I think it's great. If people want to inhale carcinogens, they can go for it outside. I realize that bars are places where people do things that are unhealthy, but smoking doesn't just affect the people who do it. If two drunks want to hook up after 2am, that's fine because it doesn't affect me. Smoking does.

And it's so nice to go out to a bar in Dallas and come home with normal-smelling clothes. Tonight, I took a shower after I got home because I can't stand the smell of second hand smoke. I don't want my hair to smell, and I don't want my bed to smell.

I know it upsets certain people, but I think it makes perfect sense. And I hope that the law spreads because it just make things better for those of us who choose not to smoke. And people who do can take it outside. Or, you know...stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment