Saturday, April 25, 2009

Stupid Lottery

So last week I went to Pei Wei, and I got a fortune cookie. It said, "Luck will visit you on the next new moon." Online, I found out that the next new moon was tonight. On the bottom, I saw the fortune cookie's lottery numbers. On the back, it was an Asian (Pei Wei is pan-Asian, so I have no idea which one) word for "wait."

In my head, I thought this was providence. Lottery drawings are held on Saturdays, the "word of the day" was wait (implying that I don't get a lottery ticket between then and now), and it had lottery numbers right there. In my superstitious head, I thought it was saying..."wait...and use the lottery numbers on Saturday, the next new moon...and you'll win the lottery."

So I kept the fortune and waited. I bought the lottery ticket. I even did the stupid "secret" thing where you see your goal and believe it and it will come true. Every time I talked about it, I acted like it was a certainty..."when I win the lottery on Saturday" and so forth.

16 35 37 39 42 48

I didn't like it because there were a lot of numbers right next to each other, but it wasn't like I could see all the signs and ignore one.

I checked tonight, and there wasn't one number that matched. Not one.

And so it turns out that it was just a fortune cookie from Pei Wei. It wasn't a secret message from the universe, giving me a free pass for some of my problems. Oh well...

No comments:

Post a Comment