Monday, December 21, 2009

Drew's Weekend 12/19-12/20

12/19 - 7am - Took Carolyn to the airport. Rewarded myself with a Acai Superantioxidant and a Jamba Juice Oatmeal.

9am - Started watching Rocky IV. I know it's a cheesy movie with three separate musical montages, but it's still really awesome. I mean...Ivan Drago is so big and strong - how does Rocky really beat him in the end?

11am - Went to play tennis against Tyler. He showed up a few minutes late, and I got some really nice work done on my spin serve. When we started playing, I got it in perfectly. It bounced in the front outside corner of the box, and it curved away from him - impossible to hit. I also had a couple nice power serves in that game, and it was easily my best serving game to date. I won 6-1 in our one set, but Tyler was trying out a new racket. I accepted the excuse, but I'm basically dominating him regularly. I am teaching him some new things, and I'm sure it'll be competitive again soon.

12:30pm - I start heading to the Stars/Wings game. I really, really hate the Red Wings, and I was hoping the Stars could pull it out. I was supposed to meet Woody at the Chipotle downtown, but I'm really bad at driving downtown. I'm also apparently really bad at finding parking downtown so I made a wrong turn and had to meet him at the AAC. He brought me Chipotle so that worked out.

2pm - Stars/Wings starts. The great Stars/Wings Anthem War takes place, and Woody and I both yell "Stars" during "rockets red glare" to drown out the stupid Red Wings fans. The Wings jump out to an early lead, but the Stars score four even strength goals and Turco does enough to win 4-3. The Stars tried that stupid thing where they try to hold a one-goal lead for 18 minutes, but it actually worked this time. My three stars would've been 3. Turco 2. Neal 1. Skrastins.

4:30pm - All the stupid Wings fans go home sad. I love it. As I walk out, I see Bob Sturm in a booth in the AAC plaza. I wave to him, and he waved back. Then, it took him a second, but he recognized me. It was pretty funny to see the transformation of "Hey, loyal P1" to "Hey, former intern!"

5pm - Bluetooth College began their 2011 season with a solid 42-3 win over Iowa State. All-American Scott Williams and All-American Mark Atkinson led the offense, and the very-young (mostly freshman) AWESOME defense did their part with two defensive touchdowns and two red zone turnovers.

7pm - Cowboys/Saints start. I'm going into the game with no expectations of winning the game, but part of me almost expected the cowboys to actually get the win...just so that they could let me down again in the next couple of weeks. But they started off the game with a 3-and-out defensively, and then they scored their first opening-drive touchdown in 18 games. Then they had another hold and another touchdown. Just like that, the Cowboys were up 14-0. It was pretty surreal.

8:30pm - As the Cowboys game goes into the half with the Cowboys holding a 17-3 lead, I continue to obsess about these kids across the hall. We've lived at the condo for a few months now, and I've never seen anyone come out of the door. I've heard stuff coming out of there, but I've never seen any real movement. But all night, kids were coming in and out of the door. I don't know why I found it so interesting, but I did.

10:10pm - After leading most of the game, including getting a 24-3 lead, the Cowboys start slipping. The Saints have come back again and again this season, they had the crowd behind then, and Drew Brees was tearing through our defense. After Romo led the Cowboys down the field to an extremely makeable field goal with just over two minutes left, Nick F'ing Folk steps onto the field. They showed some clips of his warm-up kicks, and they were doing something really weird. But this was a sub-30-yard field goal, and the ball was right in the middle of the field. For real...I could make that field goal. Nick Folk couldn't, though. Hit the damn post.

10:20pm - After several failed attempts to fast-forward into the future, the game finally ended with a Cowboys' win. I was really proud of the boys...I've been really hard on them, and I still can't allow myself to believe...but it's still a great win for the franchise. I didn't believe the defense would hold the Saints on the final drive, but they were able to do it. Their magic number to get in the playoffs is two, and they still control their own destiny to win the division. Should be exciting.

11:30 - I finish the night with the Ticket's post-game show on the radio and a nice episode of 30 Rock. Good times.

12/20 - 11am - After waking up late, starting my laundry, and having a pineapple breakfast, I start the day with my fantasy football show on yahoo.com. I make a couple moves, but I'm fairly confidant in both of my playoff matchups.

12pm - I start watching football, monitoring my fantasy games. Still...so far so good.

2:30pm - Ashley and I head to Tucker and Keely's house. For about a week, I've been wanting to get together and play a friendly game of football. The weather was almost perfect this weekend, and Shep was in town...so it worked out great. I wear my T.O. t-shirt for the first time since his release...along with my old baseball socks....pulled up. It was awesome.

3:00pm - We show up to the field and break into teams. Shep, Tyler, and me against Ashley, Keely, and Tucker. We do a bit of warming up, and it actually turned out that I had the best arm on the team so I was the quarterback. A few weeks ago, Tucker actually told me to hold the ball a little further back, and it's really help my spiral.

3:15pm - The scoring starts as I lead the team down for a TD pass to Tyler. I'd end up throwing three TD passes, all to Tyler. Unfortunately, I also threw the game-tying (and technically ending) pick-six to Tucker. But the highlight of my day was a huge pass that went for a long touchdown to Tyler. I basically threw the ball up as long and high as it would go, and it fell right into Tyler's hands in stride. A really cool moment for me.

4:30pm - After playing two more series with teams of JAM/Drew/Tyler vs. Shep/Tucker/Keely, we decide to stop. It was really fun, but then most of us rested while Tucker and Shep threw the ball around. Then, for some reason, Tucker threw the ball into our group, and for some other reason, no one told me it was about to hit me in the head. Then it hit me in the head. I already had a bit of a headache, and this really didn't help matters. I'm not sure who I was more upset with...Tucker for throwing the ball...or everyone else for saying nothing. I tink I no have brane damag tho.

6:00pm - I make a pretty delicious meal of pork chops, broccoli, and asparagus as I watch the end of the 3pm games. The Eagles win but the Packers lose. So the Cowboys are still in a good position to make the playoffs.

7pm - Waiting for Shep and Tucker, I start watching an old episode of the West Wing. Man...that show is really awesome. I wish they could've done a show with Bradley Whitford andRob Lowe about the Matt Santos presidency. Josh Lyman and Sam Seaborn are just great characters.

8:30pm - Shep and Tucker show up for Halo. It was really cool to see Shep again, and it sucks that he lives in Washington, D.C. But we all play pretty well, especially Shep...who hadn't played in a long time. We won a lot of our games, but the system kept putting Tucker on the other team. And in games that we lost...we were slaughtered.

11pm - The fellas leave, and it's time to go to bed. And even though I'm at work right now, I can say it was a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment