Friday, April 9, 2010

Three Stars,

I'm a Dallas Stars season ticket holder. And in a time when hockey seems to be struggling in the Metroplex, it's also something I'm proud of. Because being a hockey fan in Dallas is like being in a secret club where we have these hidden meetings 41 times a year. And that's just cool to me.

And a lot of my favorite moments have taken place at Stars' games. My grandfathers seats (six rows up from the net) are one of my favorite places to be in the world, especially during the playoffs. But I also remember watching the countdown to the return of hockey after the lockout. I remember the 4OT game when the exhausted fans exploded when Brendan Morrow scored the game (and series) winning goal. And I remember, a few days later, when the Stars' fans gave their team a huge standing ovation for getting to within a game of the Stanley Cup finals.

But Thursday night might have topped them all. Because even though it was a game between two teams that weren't going to make the playoffs, it was extremely memorable.

It was, most likely, the final home games for three of my favorite Dallas Stars of all time: Marty Turco, Jere Lehtinen, and Mike Modano. And I'd like to talk about each one of them.

Marty Turco

Marty Turco has had a troubled history with the Stars. He took over from Eddie Belfour, just a couple of years after the Eagle had led the team to the Stanley Cup. Turco was the future of the franchise, and there was an awful lot of excitement to see him in net. Belfour had taken the team to the top of the mountain - Turco was going to keep us there.

And for a long time, he did. Turco put up huge numbers in the regular season, and the fans loved him for it. "Mar-ty" chants were a regular occurrence at the AAC, and you saw plenty of #35 Turco jerseys in the stands.

But Marty had a pretty big problem - he couldn't win in the playoffs. Year after year, the Stars would make the playoffs. Year after year, they were a favorite or a dark horse. Year after year, they had a pretty good seed.

And year after year, the team fell short of expectations.

Some of the time, it wasn't his fault. There was one series against the Vancouver Canucks where Turco posted three shutouts. The problem was that the Canucks won in the four games that they did score a goal. That one wasn't Turco's fault. And a couple of seasons ago, Turco was brilliant as he took the Stars to the Western Conference Finals. That wasn't really Turco's fault.

The problem is that he only made it there once. And with all the talent that he had in front of him, it needed to happen more often. It might not be fair, but it's the name of the game. Just like quarterbacks in football, goalies in hockey have to take more of the burden. And too often, the guy across from Marty in the playoffs was simply better.

And that's why Marty's final game in Dallas is bittersweet. Fans have turned on him, and Marty isn't choosing to leave. The organization is moving on - going with Kari Lehtonen. He's both a younger and cheaper solution in net, and Marty will have to play somewhere else.

But I admit that it will be sad to see that. I've always liked Marty, and I wanted him to succeed. It's too bad that he wasn't able to get a Cup because he probably would've been declared the best goalie in franchise history if he had. He probably would've had a tribute night, and he might have had his number retired.

Unfortunately for Marty, his career in Dallas will end on a low note. But unlike many other Stars' fans, I choose not to forget all the great moments he had.

And on a personal note, I interviewed Marty Turco for the Ticket way back when. Marty was one of my favorite players, and I was given the task of playing the "one question" game with him. The bit was basically stolen from a Japanese game show...you ask the guy one question and then time how long he rambles on before he realizes you're not going to ask another one.

Marty was cool with me. I was a college kid who was obviously nervous, and he did the best he could. He was a good sport, and it was a cool moment for me. It's something I probably won't forget.

So I wish Marty well. I hope he catches on somewhere and succeeds (as long as it isn't in Detroit).

Jere Lehtinen

Jere Lehtinen is probably very few people's favorite player. It isn't because he hasn't been with the team long because he's been on the team for as long as I can remember. It isn't because he isn't talented because he's been one of the team's best players for the last decade.

The guy doesn't make noise. He doesn't score tons of goals. He doesn't get in fights.

He just comes to the rink every night, gives the team his all, and he lets stats and wins work themselves out. He scores plenty of goals (he scored the only other goal in the Stars' Stanley Cup winning game in Buffalo), and he has plenty of accolades (three Selke trophies for the league's best defensive forward). And if you look around the AAC, you'll see a lot of Lehtinen jerseys.

But Jere's fanfare wasn't as big as it probably could've been. Just because it isn't in his personality to be on the main stage. Lehtinen is happy doing the dirty work and allowing the other guys to get the glory. And I absolutely respect that.

It's a little strange that I haven't heard anything about Lehtinen retiring, either. I know he's getting old, and injuries have kept him down recently. But the guy can still play at a high level, and I think the Stars would have him back if he decided to come back. If not, I'm sure a team would take him on. But like Marty, it'd just be really weird to see Lehtinen wear another jersey.

Of all the guys, I think he's the most likely to come back. But that doesn't mean a whole lot. Either way, I wish Jere well. And I'm hoping the Stars consider retiring his #26. I think he's earned it.

Mike Modano

What can you say about Mike Modano? The man is the franchise, literally. He was drafted as a kid, and he's been the franchise's best player for two decades. His personality, talent, and good looks helped make hockey a legitimate sport in Dallas. I'm sure most fans in the Metroplex were drawn to the team by Mike, and the city owes him a lot. Without him, I'm not sure hockey would've made it in Texas.

He's the franchise leader in everything. Goals, assists, points, games. You name it, he owns it. In addition to that, he also owns most of the records for American-born hockey players. So if Texas hockey owes him a debt of gratitude, so does American hockey. Which is why I was a bit upset that Modano didn't make Team USA this past Olympics. Because what is Team USA hockey without Mike Modano?

Modano was never my favorite player because that always seemed too easy. He was the goal scorer that everyone loved, and there were plenty of #9 jerseys around the arena. And so I always found a different jersey to try and be unique.

But I've always planned on getting one. I've thought about getting a #9 Modano NorthStars jersey for a long time. You see them occasionally, and I just think it'd be fun to get one.

The guy is a class act. He was a goal scorer in his early years, but when Ken Hitchcock brought his defensive style to the game, Modano was able to transform himself into a solid two-way hockey player. Eventually, he was equally dangerous offensively and defensively.

When Derian Hatcher signed with the hated Red Wings, Modano was named team captain the same day. When the team thought Brenden Morrow should be captain, Modano gave up the "C" without a big fight. As far as I'm concerned, Modano can do no wrong with the Stars, and I've loved watching him play.

Like Lehtinen, Modano's retirement is basically assumed. I don't think Mike has confirmed anything either way, but people just get the idea that this is it. If he wants to come back, the Stars need to do everything they can to bring him back. If he wants a new deal, give it to him. If he wants a multi-year deal, he can have it.

If I owned the Stars, I'd take Modano a blank contract form and tell him to fill it out. As long as it's within reason financially, I'd sign it. If he wants to play ten more years, I'd allow it. Because, like I said, there are no Dallas Stars without Mike Modano. The team owes him, and I'd make sure they did what they could for him.

And if he's done playing, I'd offer him whatever job he wants. Bench coach, front office job, scout...whatever he wants, he can have. Again, it's a blank contract as far as I'm concerned.

And if he's done, what a way to go out...

On Tuesday night, the Stars' showed a highlight video of Modano and then showed his face on the JumboTron. The fans gave him a 2-3 minute standing ovation, and it looked like Mike was fighting back the emotion of the event.

On Thursday night, there would be no fighting. The big screens were full of images of Modano, Turco, and Lehtinen all night. During breaks, they'd show highlight reels and "did you know?" facts about all three players.

Every once in a while, they'd show one of the three players, and the fans were more than willing to give them a standing ovation. And with about five minutes left in the game, everything built to one moment.

It was a TV timeout and perhaps the last stoppage of play in the game. Saving their best for last, they showed a big video montage of Modano's career. Mike would later say that it was the Stanley Cup images that got him going, and it's not a surprise. He was instrumental in the Cup run, and I almost forgot that Modano was on the ice for the game-winning goal.

After the video ended, Modano was shown on the board, and the place erupted. Modano tried to stay strong, but the standing ovation just kept going. I looked down on the bench, and Modano was the only one sitting. The Dallas Stars' bench was standing, and the players showed no signs of starting play.

Mike held it back as long as he could, but his eyes started to water. And in one moment, he decided to let his guard down. The fans were begging for acknowledgement, and he finally gave it to them. He waved to the fans, and we erupted in appreciation. And with that barrier down, the emotion overwhelmed him. He began to cry, and it was truly one of the most touching moments of my life.

The fans loved him, and you could tell that Modano appreciated the fans. We'd all been together for his whole career, and we'd grown up alongside him. We wanted him to know that we loved him, and we were happy to see that he felt the same way.

It seemed to go on forever, but eventually the game started. And just a few seconds later, the Ducks scored to take a lead. And it really sucked because it sucked all that positive emotion out of the arena.

And if the game had ended 2-1, it still would've been a cool moment. But I was greedy, and I begged the Stars to score one for Mike. This game had to end with a Stars' win. It just had to.

But the Stars didn't score one for Mike. He did it himself.

A shot came from the blue line, and Mike Modano tipped it passed Jonas Hiller to tie the game. The shot was close to being a high stick, and the refs were obligated to review it. But if they'd overturned the call, I'm fairly confident that the fans would've burned the place to the ground. There was no way the refs were going to take that goal away, and of course, they didn't.

The game went to OT, and Modano actually had a breakaway. A Duck caught him from behind, but Modano was still able to get a good shot off. And, so, the game went to a shootout.

Ashley turned to me during the break and asked if Modano would be in the shootout. Of course, I said. It was his night.

The shootout began with Brad Richards. Miss. Then a Duck shot - save Turco.

Then Mike Modano jumped the boards to take the next shot. And with 18,000 fans behind him, the puck trickled passed Hiller. And the place erupted again...the storybook finale was starting to come true.

Another Duck took a shot. Save Turco.

And I look down and there's Jere Lehtinen taking a shot. It seemed like a sentimental move - the Stars were honoring Turco, Lehtinen, and Modano. And there's Turco with two saves in the shootout and Modano with a goal. Was it really possible that the third Star could seal it?

Yes. Lehtinen ripped it passed Hiller, and the Stars won it.

The three stars of the game were Turco, Lehtinen, and Modano. Turco's selection was definitely homerism because Hiller had 50 saves in the game. But it was the Stars' night, and I have no complaints. And if Hiller hadn't been so great, the Stars could've easily crushed Anaheim.

And the drama wouldn't have been so strong.

It was the last home game of the year, and the Stars celebrated the fans by giving a few fans the jerseys off the players' backs. And, of course, the Big Three were the last to go. And when Modano's turn came, we gave him one last cheer. He skated around, he acknowledged us again, and then he left home ice...potentially for the last time.

And it was just so cool how it ended. The high from the ovation was simply amazing, and to have Modano, himself, score the tying goal in regulation was just as awesome. And for the big three to all be heroes in the shootout was simply incredible. I've never seen anything like it, and it's the kind of thing that I'll remember for a very long time.

Part of me hopes this is it for Lehtinen and Modano because I can't imagine topping that moment. If Modano comes back and struggles through injuries and low stats, it won't feel the same. And as much as I'd love to have Modano come back and leave as a winner, I just don't think that's going to happen.

If he wants to come back, I'm definitely going to welcome him back. But if he chooses to leave, how could anyone blame him? In a season where the Stars could end up in last place, he still walks away as the conquering hero with one last victory under his belt.

It was one of the greatest nights of my life, and it's something that I won't forget for a long time. This team means a lot to me, and those players do too. And while life moves on, I'm going to do my best to remember that moment. Because life doesn't get a whole lot cooler than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment