Sunday, February 20, 2011

Detox Day Fifteen

One week to go. This time next week, I'm going to be off the diet and enjoying whatever foods I want. I've already decided that, one week from this exact moment, I'm going to be enjoying a nice Jamba Juice. I haven't had fruit in a while, and I love me some Jamba Juice. It's a nice healthy on-ramp to my normal routine. After that, I want some Carmine's pizza, a Jimmy John's Vito, a Ginger Broccoli with beef from Pei Wei, and a Twisted Root cheeseburger.

In fact, I have a couple weeks worth of foods that I want to eat again. But....is that the point of this?

Tucker told me that one of the big things that can come out of this is getting off of soda. My response is...I like soda. And while I've kicked any "habit" for Coke that I might've had, I'm not going to stop drinking it. And only because, deep down, I really don't want to. It may be be like a smoker who says they don't want to quit because they like smoking. But I do...I just like the taste of soda and how it goes with different foods.

And there's a chance that I'll eat so poorly in March that my diet in February is irrelevant. And, in that case, what was the point? Am I just torturing myself for no reason?

I hope not. I hope that I'm doing some good. Two weeks without sugar, without (for the most part), processed foods. About 90% of what I've eaten in the last two weeks, I've prepared myself. I've eaten a couple salads from chain restaurants, a cup of vegetable soup, and a couple fish dinners, and a Genghis Grill bowl with a tomato-garlic sauce.

Either way, no beef. No soda. No bread. No dairy. No fruit. A lot of vegetables, a lot of fish, and a lot of water.

I hope that the predominant thing that this accomplishes is an alteration of what I normally eat. I'm still going to drink Coke, but I don't drink it at home anyways. When I drink it, it's usually out to eat...and I'm going to dial down what I have with lunch at work (which I'd started doing every day). I'm still going to eat cheeseburgers and pizza and chicken fried steak and Italian sandwiches....but I'm going to do my best to work in more fish and vegetables and water.

Because I wasn't "unhealthy" before. I've lost about five pounds so far...which is almost all water weight, I'd assume. I look and feel a little bit better, but it isn't a remarkable change. I had a health checkup at work in August, and my numbers were fine. I have another one on Thursday, and we'll see if 18 days of the diet will have any impact on those numbers.

If there's any noticeable changes, I might have a change in heart. I might try and have a variation on the Tucker diet (where he's vegan six days a week and allows himself one day to be "bad"). If not, I'll do some sort of hybrid.

And I think, at this point, that's good enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment